Delicious homemade raw energy bars for a healthy snack. They work well as a dessert as well!
Few days ago I felt like having something sweet for an afternoon snack. I opened the cupboard and saw a bag of puffed oats I bought several months ago so that I could make some energy bars. Well, the bag of puffed oats was left sitting lonely in the cupboard until today, when I finally had the inspiration (and the time) to come up with an energy bar recipe. .
These raw energy bars have been inspired by those delicious orange flavored dates and cacao raw balls I made a few days ago (as the ones following my Instagram stories probably noticed). At the moment I’m really loving the combination of cacao and orange/mandarin, and I frequently find myself thinking about new ways in which to use this combo. The essential oil gives the food such an intense flavour that sugar or other sweeteners can be reduced to a minimum. The recipe can be found on my blog as soon as I have time to write it down and double check the quantities. Stay tuned to get the recipe for these delicious bars in the next few days.
4 dl puffed oats
1,5 dl shredded coconut
1,5 dl / 80g whole walnuts
100 g dried dates
0,5 dl dark, unsweetened cacao powder
0,75 dl virgin coconut oil
0,5 dl maple syrup
10 drops pure mandarin (tangerine) essential oil
- Grind the walnuts in a blender or by using an immersion blender until to create a flour.
- Chop the dates into small pieces.
- Place the grinded walnuts and the chopped dates in a bowl with the rest of the ingredients and mix well with a spoon.
- With an immersion blender, mix and smash the ingredients to create a thick grainy dough. You can also place all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until ready.
- Cover a baking dish (about 16 cm x 24 cm) with an own paper and place the dough in the dish. Flatten the dough using a spoon to about 1 cm thick.
- Place the baking dish into a freezer for about 30 minutes. Cut the energy bars into pieces and store them in the fridge in an airtight jar or wrapped inside an oven paper.